Registering a domain name is easy. You should never register the domain name at the same place you are going to host your web site though just in case you ever want to change web hosts.
Here is a step by step on how to register a domain name at Godaddy.com – one of the webs largest domain name registrars.
- First you need to go to their site at http://godaddy.com and create an account. Just click the “Create Account” link at the top of the page and fill in the form to create the account.
- Once created, log in with your user name and password in the fields at the top of the site.
- Then do a search for the domain name you want by placing the name into the search field. Enter the name like domainname.com or domainname.net etc. etc. and the search will result in either the domain being available or not.
- When you find a domain name that is available, just click the “ADD” button to add the domain to your order and then click the “Continue to Checkout”.
- After that just follow the steps until you have paid for the domain and then you own the domain.That’s all there is to it.
NOTE: I don’t recommend purchasing any additional features or hosting from the domain name registrar. I recommend acquiring hosting at a separate company as many of the additional features are included in the hosting package for free.